10. We know that financial markets rise and fall in the short-term but have risen steadily if you look at the long-term picture.
9. We know that average investors are spooked about oil and that any segment connected to oil in any way is getting pummeled right now.
8. We know there will be a new president elected in 2016 and that the election will dominate the headlines in 2016.
7. We know the Federal Reserve is going to raise interest rates sooner or later since they can’t go any lower.
6. We know that nearly 20% of the world’s population lives in China, which is still emerging as a country.
5. We know that advances in technology are causing major shifts in the world economies, energy, work force, and many other areas.
4. We know that the United States has emerged as a dominant player in oil and natural gas production and that OPEC feels threatened by it.
3. We know the benefits of maintaining a broadly diversified portfolio of stocks, bonds, cash, and other asset classes and it’s not smart to try to time the market or guess what might happen.
2. We know that we have no idea of what the future will bring and that all we can do is be disciplined, non-emotional, and try to control only that which we can control.
1. We know that despite the fact that stocks are down 8% year-to-date, the negative markets has not derailed the financial plans of our clients. We plan for down markets. We try to keep our focus on the long-term big picture rather than short-term performance. If you are a client and are concerned then we need to revisit your plan. If you are not a client, maybe it’s time to create a plan so you can be confident about where you are going.